•   Nezavisimosti Avenue
  •  
  •  
    Round the clock
Zero kilometer of Belarus (belor. Nulyava кiламетар Belarusi) — a cult sign, designation of zero kilometer of roads of Republic of Belarus.

Minsk became the provincial city soon after the second section of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1793). The Minsk roads ordered.
Since September 6, 1795 the regular "post" passenger traffic began, and the ordered post paths provided normal transportation of freights. Each verst On post paths was noted by a milestone. Near mail the column ("zero verst") — the beginning of all paths of the province was established.
Near the square of the New place (nowadays the square at theater of. Janka Kupala) there took place annual counterassembly fair. Approximately there was once "a zero verst" Minsk province.
During reconstruction on Oktyabrskaya Square 1998, the sign of counting of the roads, received the name "zero kilometer" was again established. Before the zero kilometer was counted from Glavpochtamt. The established new sign appeared exactly on 1 km away from Glavpochtamt.
The monument is made of granite in the form of a pyramid, symbolizes eternity and durability. Vytesan in Portugal. Bronze cartouches on which are placed frame a sign: the map of roads, Latin saying, the verses written by Ya. Kolas. On a bronze blind area of "Zero kilometer" distances from Minsk to the capitals of the states neighboring to Belarus, the regional and regional centers of Belarus are specified. On the southeast party of a pyramid on a medallion an inscription: "The beginning of roads of Belarus" To Kiev — 573 km. To Gomel — 315 km. To Moscow — 700 km. To Mogilyov — 199 km. Authors of a sign: architect A. Sardarov, sculptor A. Finsky, artist on metal V. Zavedeev.